- Important Information
- Set Billing Type of Projects
- Change Billing Type of Projects and Tasks
- Track Billable Hours
- Manage Billable Time
- Lock Time Entries
The billable time setting allows you to set up the projects and tasks that your employees work on as billable or non-billable in one click. Filter and group tasks and projects to see which of them you need to bill your customers or pay contractors for.
- Billing type can only be set for projects and tasks. Folders and spaces can’t be billable.
- When you create a task, the system automatically checks the billing type of the project that the task is housed within and sets the task billing type the same as that of the project. For example, if your billable project contains a folder and you create a task in that folder, the task will be set as billable by default. But you can manually change the task to non-billable.
- When you create a task in a folder that is tagged in both a billable and a non-billable project, this task will be set as billable by default.
Regular and external users can set projects and tasks as billable or non-billable unless it’s restricted by their access role.
You can set up billable time while creating a project:
- In the project creation window, locate the drop-down menu under “Billing type.”
- The default billing type for all new projects is “Billable.” Click the drop-down menu to change it to “Non-billable.”
- Click “Create.”
Your project is now set as billable or non-billable. All tasks and subtasks created within the project automatically get the same billing type by default, but you can manually change it later.
Regular and external users can change the billing type of projects and all tasks within it unless it’s restricted by their access role.
To change the billing type of a project:
- Click the name of the project in the left-hand navigation panel.
- Open the project's info panel.
- Click the "$" icon in the upper-right corner.
- In the window that appears, select whether you want to:
- Change the billing type only for the project itself
- Change the billing type for the project and all the items inside it: subprojects, tasks, and time entries.
- Click "Change."
The billing type of the project is changed immediately. If you chose to change the billing type of everything inside the project too, this process also starts immediately but it might take some time if there is a large number of subprojects and tasks.
To change the billing type of a task:
- Open the task in task view.
- Click the "$" icon* in the upper-right corner.
The billing type of the task is changed immediately. Keep in mind that when you change the billing type of a task, all of the time entries added for the task also get their billing type changed automatically.
*Note: If you don’t see the icon on a task, that means that this task isn't housed within any billable projects and the task itself is non-billable. You need to either change the billing type of its housing project or tag the task with a billable project to make the task billable.
All users who work on tasks in Wrike, except for collaborators, can track their working time using two ways:
🔥Wrike Tip! Use Wrike’s mobile apps for Android and iOS to add time entries in timesheets on the go. In both apps, you can add Timesheets to the main screens for easy access and set up daily or weekly notifications that’ll remind you to add time entries.
Android users can also integrate Google Calendars with Timesheets and easily add time spent on meetings and other scheduled tasks. Plus, the Android app will automatically calculate the billable and non-billable time totals, provide a weekly summary, and highlight tasks that require attention.
When you add a time entry using either of the methods mentioned above, it’s automatically marked as billable or non-billable, depending on the task’s billing type. Unlike the billing type of tasks and projects, the time entries’ billing type cannot be changed manually. But when you change the billing type of a task that has time entries, all its entries automatically change their billing type too.
All account users, except for external users and collaborators, can manage other users’ time entries.
You can easily get an overview of how much time your employees worked on a certain task and whether or not this time is billable on the Timelog view. There you can:
- View and edit time entries of a certain user.
- Edit and delete all users’ time entries.
- Report on time entries from a certain period of time.
- Lock time entries to disallow editing.
- Export time entries report.
To open the Timelog view:
- Click on the folder, project, or space in the left-hand navigation panel.
- Switch to the Timelog view. You may need to click “More” first.
Group and Filter Billable Time
Each time entry’s billing type is indicated in the “Billing type” column on the Timelog view.
Filter Time Entries by Billing Type
- Click the filter icon in the upper-left corner of the Timelog table.
- Scroll down to the "Billing Type" filter section.
- Check the box next to the “Billable” or “Non-billable” type.
Group Time Entries by Billing Type
- Click the “Add grouping” button in the upper-left corner of the view. Or, if another grouping is already applied, click the “+” button.
- Select “Billing type.”
All account users, except for external users and collaborators, can lock time entries on Timelog view unless it’s restricted by their access role.
After you review the time entries of your employees, you can lock them to prevent the entries from being edited. Use this feature prior to creating payrolls or preparing invoices for your clients, or before exporting employees’ time entries from Wrike.
You can lock all entries for the selected period at once, or you can manually lock each entry individually.
To lock all the time entries for the selected period at once:
- Choose a folder, project, or space that contains tasks with required time entries from the left-hand navigation panel.
- Switch to the Timelog view.
- Click on the three-dot menu button in the upper-right corner of the Timelog table.
- Select “Lock entries.”
- In the pop-up window, select the time frame you want to lock the entries for.
- Click the “Lock entries” button.
A pop-up with the “Undo” button will appear for a short time.
To lock one entry at a time:
- Open the selected folder, project or space in the Timelog view.
- Locate the needed time entry in the list.
- Hover over the cell of this entry in the "Lock" column.
- Click on the lock icon that appears to lock the entry (one more click will unlock it).