- Important Information
- Set Billing Type of Projects
- Change Billing Type of Projects and Tasks
- Track Billable Hours
- Manage Billable Time
- Lock Time Entries
The billable time setting allows you to set up the projects and tasks that your employees work on as billable or non-billable in one click. Filter and group tasks and projects to see which of them you need to bill your customers or pay contractors for.
- Billing type can only be set for projects and tasks. Folders and Spaces can’t be billable.
- When you create a task, the system automatically checks the billing type of the project that the task is housed within and sets the task billing type the same as that of the project. For example, if your billable project contains a folder and you create a task in that folder, the task will be set as billable by default. But you can manually change the task to non-billable.
- When you create a task in a folder that is tagged in both a billable and a non-billable project, this task will be set as billable by default.
Regular and external users can set projects and tasks as billable or non-billable unless it’s restricted by their access role.
You can set up billable time while creating a project:
- In the project creation window, locate the drop-down menu under “Billing type.”
- The default billing type for all new projects is “Billable.” Click the drop-down menu to change it to “Non-billable.”
- Click “Create.”
Your project is now set as billable or non-billable. All tasks and subtasks created within the project automatically get the same billing type by default, but you can manually change it later.
Regular and external users can change the billing type of projects and all tasks within it unless it’s restricted by their access role.
- To change the billing type of a project or a task:
- Click the name of a project or a task in the left-hand navigation panel.
- Click the "$" icon in the upper-right corner of the project's info panel or task view *.
The billing type is changed immediately.
Note: When you change the billing type of a project, the billing type of the tasks within it doesn’t change automatically.
*If you don’t see the billing type icon on a task, that means that this task is not housed within a billable project. You first need to either change the billing type of the project or tag the task with a billable project to make it billable too.
All users who work on tasks in Wrike, except for collaborators, can track their working time using two ways:
When you add a time entry using either of these ways, it’s automatically marked as billable or non-billable, depending on the task’s billing type. Unlike the billing type of tasks and projects, the time entries’ billing type cannot be changed manually. But when you change the billing type of a task that has time entries, all entries automatically change their billing type too.
All account users, except for external users and collaborators, can manage other users’ time entries.
You can easily get an overview of how much time your employees worked on a certain task and whether or not this time is billable on the Timelog view. There you can:
- View and edit time entries of a certain user.
- Edit and delete all users’ time entries.
- Report on time entries from a certain period of time.
- Lock time entries to disallow editing.
- Export time entries report.
To open the Timelog view:
- Click on the folder, project, or Space in the left-hand navigation panel.
- Switch to the Timelog View. You may need to click “More” first.
Group and Filter Billable Time
Each time entry’s billing type is indicated in the “Billing type” column on the Timelog view.
Filter Time Entries by Billing Type
- Click the filter icon in the upper-left corner of the Timelog table.
- Scroll down to the "Billing Type" filter section.
- Check the box next to the “Billable” or “Non-billable” type.
Group Time Entries by Billing Type
- Click the “Add grouping” button in the upper-left corner of the view. Or, if another grouping is already applied, click the “+” button.
- Select “Billing type.”
All account users, except for external users and collaborators, can lock time entries on Timelog view unless it’s restricted by their access role.
After you review the time entries of your employees, you can lock them to prevent the entries from being edited. Use this feature prior to creating payrolls or preparing invoices for your clients, or before exporting employees’ time entries from Wrike.
To lock the time entries:
- Choose a folder, project, or Space that contains tasks with required time entries from the left-hand navigation panel.
- Switch to the Timelog view.
- Click on the three-dot menu button in the upper-right corner of the Timelog table.
- Select “Lock entries.”
- In the pop-up window, select the time frame you want to lock the entries for.
- Click the “Lock entries” button.
A pop-up with the “Undo” button will appear for a short time. If you don’t undo this action now, you won’t be able to unlock the entries later. Once you lock the entries, they can no longer be edited or deleted by any user, but it’s still possible to add new entries.