The Timeline View is available to all users on all paid accounts.
- Important Information
- Navigate the View
- Hide or Show the Table
- Add or Remove Columns from the Table
- Expand and Collapse Items on the Timeline View
- Open a Task from the Timeline View
- Weekends on the Timeline View
- More Resources
Use the Gantt Chart (Timeline View) to see how tasks in your Folder or Project are scheduled and to quickly make adjustments to your project's timeline.
The timeline on the view's right side shows scheduled tasks as bars which extend from the task's start to end dates. The table on the left side of the view shows all tasks, including tasks which haven’t been scheduled.
- Backlogged tasks with scheduled subtasks appear on the timeline and are represented by bars with striped diagonal lines which extend from the earliest subtask’s start date to the latest subtask’s end date.
To view a Folder or Project on the Timeline View:
- Select a Folder or Project from the Workspace’s left-hand Navigation panel.
- Switch to the Timeline View.
Tasks appear on the timeline in the color associated with their status.
Projects and Folders on the Timeline View
- A Folder or Project’s name appears on the timeline and a bracket appears under the Project or Folder’s name.
- If a Project has scheduled start and end dates, then the bracket spans from the Project’s start date to its end date (regardless of when tasks within the Project are scheduled). For Folders (and Projects which do not have scheduled start and end dates): the bracket spans from the task with the earliest start date to the end date of the task with the latest end date.
- A Project or Folder icon appears to the left of a Folder or Project’s title.
Hide the table from the view to get a better overview of your project’s schedule and have the table reappear when you need it:
- Hover over the right border of the table (or left side of the view if the table is hidden).
- Click the blue button with the carrot icon.
- Click the gear icon in the Table’s upper left-hand corner.
- Check the box next to any columns you want to see or uncheck the box next to any columns you want to hide.
Please note, Custom Fields are not visible on the table.
By default, when you open a Folder or Project in the Timeline View the Folder/Project and any Subfolders/Subprojects are expanded so that you can see the tasks within them.
Expand or Collapse all Folders and Projects
- Click “Expand All” at the top of the Timeline View to expand all Subfolders/Subprojects.
- Click “Collapse All” at the top of the Timeline View to collapse all Subfolders/Subprojects.
Expand or Collapse Individual Items
To expand or collapse individual Folders, Projects, or tasks with subtasks from the table:
- Click the carrot icon to the left of the item’s title.
To expand or collapse tasks with subtasks from the timeline:
- Hover over a task you want to collapse or expand.
- Click the carrot icon that appears to the left of a task’s title.
To expand or collapse items when the table is hidden:
- Click the “+” sign which appears on the left-hand side of the Timeline View to expand the item.
- Click the “-” sign which appears on the left-hand side of the Timeline View to collapse the item.
Each “+” or “-” is at the same level as the title of the parent Task, Folder, or Project it corresponds to, but you can also hover over a “+” or “-” to see which item the sign is associated with.
From the Table:
- Hover over a task’s title.
- Click the icon that appears to the right of the title.
The task opens in an overlay Task View.
From the Timeline:
- Click a task bar in the Timeline.
- Click a task’s title in the pop-up that appears.
The task opens in an overlay Task View.
By default, when you schedule a task, only working days (typically weekdays) are taken into account. For example, if you schedule a task for three days and the task’s start date is Friday, then the task’s end date will be Tuesday of the following week.
To include weekends in the task duration:
- Open the task in the Task View.
- Click the calendar icon.
- Check the “work on weekends” box (located at the bottom of the scheduling pop-up).
Join Ask the Expert sessions to learn and, more importantly, ask questions. If you're thinking about the Timeline View this session may be helpful for you:
Read the Community post about the Timeline View: