There are three types of user licenses in Wrike: Collaborators, External Users, and Regular Users. Each license has different rights within the Workspace.
- Regular and External Users: require a paid user seat. The number of Regular/External Users you can have depends on how many seats you signed up for.
- Collaborators: free license type (do not take a paid user seat). You can have an unlimited number of Collaborators on your account.
- You can use Folder Permissions to limit a Regular or External Users rights at the Folder and Project level.
- Read our Community post if you're unsure if someone should be a Regular User or a Collaborator.
- More information about pricing available on our Pricing page and more details about what is available on each plan on our Manage Subscriptions page.
Regular Users: have full rights within the Workspace, with the exception of rights reserved for admins.
External Users: have similar rights to Regular Users, but without the ability to share Tasks, Folders, and Projects and they are not included in the My Team group. External Users can only see the contact information of people who share common Tasks, Folders, and Projects with them.
Collaborators: have limited rights within the Workspace. These licenses are useful when you need to share project plans with partners, clients or contractors without enabling them to make a lot of changes in your Workspace. Collaborators are able to see the names and profile images of people who share common Tasks, Folders, and Projects with them, but they are not able to see additional contact information. Check our post What do Collaborators See for visuals on what a Collaborator sees when they log in to Wrike.
|Abilities||Regular User||External User||Collaborator|
|Create Wrike Reports||+||-||-|
|Share Tasks, Folders, and Projects||+||-||-|
|Included in My team group||+||-||-|
|Invite new team members||+||-||-|
|Edit Description Fields, Change Start/Due Dates, Add Assignees||+||+||-|
|Access the Dashboard and Workload View||+||+||-|
|Create and delete Tasks, Folders, and Projects||+||+||-|
|Track time using the Time Tracker||+||+||-|
|Create and edit Custom Fields and field values||+||+||-|
|Access tasks through List View, Table View, Timeline View, and Activity Stream||+||+||+|
|Access My Work and Inbox||+||+||+|
|See Tasks, Folders, and Projects shared with them||+||+||+|
|Comment on Tasks, Folders, and Projects||+||+||
|Attach files to Tasks, Folders, and Projects||+||
|Change task status||+||+||+|
|Submit a request||+||+||+|
|View Custom Fields and their values||+||+||+|
Account admins can change a teammate's license type. You will be able to make someone: a Collaborator, Regular User, External User, or admin.
- Click on your profile image in the upper right-hand corner of the Workspace.
- Select “Account Management” from the dropdown.
- Click on the “People” or “Users & Groups” tab depending on if you are a Free/Professional user or a Business/Enterprise user respectively.
- Select the user whose license type you would like to change.
- In the panel or pop-up that appears you can:
- Click the “Collaborator” toggle to make the user a Collaborator.
- Click the dropdown field next to “User” to make them a Regular or External User, or an admin*.
Your changes will go into effect immediately.
*Please note, on Business and Enterprise accounts you can use the dropdown under a user's name to make the user a Collaborator, a Regular or External User, or an admin.
Join Ask the Expert sessions to learn and, more importantly, ask questions. If you're thinking about types of licenses this session may be helpful for you: