Regular and external users on all Business and Enterprise accounts can create calendars. Collaborators can view calendars shared with them.
⏱ 4 min read
- Important Information
- Navigate Calendars
- Classic vs. Smart Calendars
- Create a Calendar
- Layering Calendars
- Edit and Delete Calendars
- Change Calendar Color
- Choose the First Month of a Fiscal Year
- More Resources
Calendars help you keep track of what needs to be worked on and when, stay in sync with your team, and visualize your project’s schedule. There are 2 types of calendars:
- Smart calendars. Automatically display tasks or projects from specific folders/projects and with specific filters applied.
- Classic calendars. Display tasks which you’ve individually selected, add tasks from any project/folder and with any properties.
- Overlay a maximum of 30 task-based smart calendars and an unlimited number of classic or project-based smart calendars.
- Smart calendars are marked by a funnel icon in the calendar list.
- There’s no limit to how many calendars you can create or to how many can be shared with you.
- Projects must have both a start date and an end date to appear on calendars.
- Tasks must have an end date to appear on calendars. So, scheduled tasks and milestones will appear on calendars but backlogged tasks won't.
- A left-hand panel 1 shows available calendars (either created by you or shared with you).
- Change the time frame 2: view a calendar by week, month, quarter, or year.
- Switch to a different month/year/quarter/week by clicking the carrot icons 3 on either side of the "Today" button.
- Navigate back to the current time period by clicking on the “Today” button.
- To open a project or a task in the overlay view, click a bar representing a task or a project.
- The vertical red line on the grid in quarter/year views indicates today’s date.
- Vertical gray lines in quarter view and greyed out days in week/month views indicate weekends.
Customize the View
Use classic calendars if:
- Tasks you need to monitor are spread across multiple folders/projects and the bulk of tasks are not in any particular folder.
- You only want to display certain tasks (and filters don’t help to specify these tasks).
Use task-based smart calendars if:
- Tasks you need to monitor are in the same folders/projects.
- You want to apply filters and display tasks based on those filters.
- Tasks should be automatically displayed based on the selected folder/project and applied filters (vs. manually added).
Use project-based smart calendars if:
- You want to monitor projects tagged in certain folders/projects.
Regular and external users can create calendars.
- Select the Calendars tab (at the top of the workspace). 1
- If it’s your first calendar: click “Create a Calendar”. 2
- If you already have calendars: expand the left-hand calendar panel and click "+ New Calendar".
- Enter the calendar’s title.3
- Choose a calendar type: classic, smart based on tasks, or smart based on projects.
- Choose how to display tasks/projects. Task or project bars can span the full duration or only the due date.
- For smart calendars: select which folders/projects to pull tasks/projects from, choose whether or not to include tasks/projects from subfolders and subprojects, and apply filters.
Your calendar is created!
View one calendar at a time or display multiple calendars at the same time. To select which calendars you want to layer:
- Select the Calendars tab (at the top of the workspace).
- Expand the left-hand calendar panel.
- Display a calendar: check the box next to the calendar’s title.
- Stop displaying a calendar: uncheck the box next to the calendar's title.
Wrike Tip 🔥Display only a specific calendar by hovering over its name, clicking the three-dot menu button on the right, and selecting "Display this only".
Regular and external users can edit and delete calendars they created.
Edit a Calendar
- Select the Calendars tab (at the top of the Workspace). 1
- Hover over a calendar's title on the left-hand calendar panel and click the three-dot menu button on the right. 2
- Select “Settings”. 3
- In the pop-up that opens you can:
- Change the calendar’s title. 4
- Change what the calendar should display: full task durations or their due dates. 5
- For smart calendars: change which folders/projects to include tasks/projects from, include or exclude tasks/projects from subfolders and subprojects, and apply different filters. 6
Your settings are applied.
Delete a Calendar
- Hover over a calendar's title on the left-hand calendar panel and click the menu button on the right. 1
- Select “Delete”. 2
- Click “Yes” in the pop-up that appears to confirm your decision. 3
Your calendar is deleted from your workspace and from the workspace of anyone who it was shared with.
To change the color of tasks or projects on a calendar:
- Hover over a calendar's title in the left-hand panel.
- Click the menu button.
- Hover over "Change color".
- Select a color from the panel.
Tasks or projects on the calendar immediately change color ().
Admins on Business and Enterprise accounts can nominate a month the fiscal year should start with. Admins on Enterprise accounts may have this right disabled.
- Click your profile image in the workspace's upper right-hand corner. 1
- Select "Account Management". 2
- Switch to the "Settings" tab. 3
- Click on the "First month of the fiscal year" field under "Fiscal Year Settings" 4 and select a month from the dropdown list.
- Click "Save changes". 5