Regular and external users on all Business and Enterprise accounts can create calendars and calendar layers. Collaborators can view calendars shared with them.
⏱ 4 min read
- Important Information
- Create a Calendar
- Classic vs. Smart Calendars Layers
- Create a Calendar Layer
- Navigate Calendars
- Customize Calendar View
- Edit Calendars and Layers
- Delete Calendars or Layers
- Change Calendar Layer Color
- Choose the First Month of a Fiscal Year
- More Info
Calendars help you keep track of what needs to be worked on and when. Calendars consist of layers. Each layer displays tasks or projects according to filters and other parameters you set when you create them. You can add one or multiple layers to each calendar and set them to show different tasks and projects.
There are 2 types of layers:
- Smart layers based on tasks or projects. Automatically display tasks or projects from specific folders/projects/Spaces and with specific filters applied.
- Classic layers. Manually add tasks with any properties to the calendar layer from any project/folder/Space and create new tasks right on the layer.
You can customize your calendar view to display tasks from multiple calendars or layers at the same time. Check any combination of calendars and layers to display all their tasks on the grid.
- Smart layers are marked by a funnel icon in the calendar panel.
- Each calendar can contain layers of both types: smart and classic.
- There’s no limit to how many calendars and layers you can create. There is also no limit to how many calendars can be shared with you.
- You can overlay an unlimited number of classic or project-based smart layers and a maximum of 30 task-based smart layers on the same view.
- Projects must have both a start date and an end date to appear on the calendar grid.
- Tasks must have an end date to appear on calendars. So, scheduled tasks and milestones will appear, but backlogged tasks won't.
Regular and external users can create calendars and add layers to them.
- Select the Calendars tab at the top of the workspace.
- If it’s your first calendar: click “Create new”.
- If you already have calendars: expand the left-hand calendar panel and click "+ New Calendar".
Now you can proceed to create calendar layers.
Use classic layers if:
- Tasks you need to monitor are spread across multiple folders/projects/Spaces and the bulk of tasks are not in any particular folder.
- You only want to display certain tasks (and filters don’t help to specify these tasks).
Use task-based smart layers if:
- Tasks you need to monitor are in the same folders/projects/Spaces.
- You want to apply filters and display tasks based on those filters.
- Tasks should be automatically displayed based on the selected folder/project/Space and applied filters (vs. manually added).
Use project-based smart layers if:
- You want to monitor projects tagged in certain folders/projects/Spaces.
- Hover over the name of the calendar to which you want to add a layer.
- Click on the + icon 1 that appears. Alternatively, you can right-click the calendar and select “Create layer” from the menu that appears.
- From the pop-up:
- Enter the layer’s title. 2
- Choose a layer type 3: classic, smart based on tasks, or smart based on projects.
- Choose how to display tasks/projects 4. Task or project bars can indicate the full duration or only the due date.
- For smart layers 5: select which folders/projects/Spaces to pull tasks/projects from, choose whether or not to include tasks/projects from subfolders and subprojects, and apply filters.
- Click “Save”. 6
Your layer is created!
Collapse/Expand the calendar panel. The left-hand panel 1 shows all available calendars (either created by you or shared with you) and all layers of those calendars. Click on the collapse/expand icon 2 to hide the list of calendars.
Collapse/expand calendars. Click on the caret icon 3 to the left of the calendar’s name to collapse or expand the list of layers it contains.
Change the time frame. From the menu 4 select how to view your calendar: by week, month, quarter, or year.
Switch to a different month/year/quarter/week. Click the caret icons 5 on either side of the "Today" button.
Navigate back to the current time period. Click on the “Today” button.
Open a project or a task in the overlay view. Click a bar representing a task or a project on the grid.
Find today’s date in quarter/year views. The vertical red line on the grid indicates today’s date.
Find weekends. Greyed out days in week/month views and the vertical gray lines which appear when you drag tasks/projects to reschedule them in quarter view indicate weekends.
Review settings of smart calendar layers. Hover over the funnel icon 6 to the right of a smart calendar layer title to review the settings and see which filters are applied to tasks or projects on this layer.
Rearrange calendars and layers on the calendar panel. You can change the order of calendars on the panel. And you can move layers either within the same calendar or from one calendar to another. To rearrange the calendars and layers:
- Select a calendar or layer that you want to move.
- Click on it and drag it to the chosen location.
Add calendars to the grid. Each calendar and layer has a checkbox 1 next to its name. By checking or unchecking the box you can add or remove tasks and projects of the corresponding calendar or layer from the grid. When you check the box next to a calendar, it automatically checks all its layers.
Display only a specific calendar or layer. Right-click the calendar or layer and select "Display this only" 2 from the menu that appears.
Display or hide weekends. In week/month views, click the three-dot menu button 3 in the calendar's upper right-hand corner and select "Hide/Show weekends". 4
Display or hide week numbers. In week/month/quarter views, click the three-dot menu button 3 in a calendar's upper-right corner and select "Show/Hide week numbers." Note: This option is only available if you set Monday as the first day of the week.
Display tasks or projects by calendar color or by status color. Click the three-dot menu button in a calendar's upper right-hand corner and select "By Calendar color" or "By status". 5 It is available in all time period views.
Change the way task and projects look on calendars. In quarter and year views:
- Click the three-dot menu button in the calendar's upper right-hand corner.
- Select “Precise event duration” to make the bars that represent the tasks/projects on the calendar grid to reflect the exact duration of these tasks/projects.
- Select “Estimate events to grid” to make the bars display an estimated task/project duration.
Switch between calendar and fiscal year. In year view, click the three-dot menu button in a calendar's upper right-hand corner and select "Fiscal" or "Calendar".
Resize the calendar panel. Hover over the line that separates the calendar panel from the grid until your cursor turns into the resizing arrow . Then left-click mouse and drag left to make the calendar panel narrower or right to make it wider.
Regular and external users can edit and delete calendars and layers.
Change Calendar’s Name
- Select the Calendars tab at the top of the workspace.
- Right-click the calendar whose name you wish to change.
- Select “Rename” from the menu that appears.
Enter a new name for the calendar and press Enter to save the changes.
Edit a Calendar Layer
- Right-click the calendar layer that you want to edit.
- Select “Settings” from the menu that appears. 1
- In the window that opens you can:
- Change the layer’s title. 2
- Change what the layer should display: full task/project durations or just the due dates. 3
- For smart layers: change which folders/projects/Spaces to include tasks/projects from, include or exclude tasks/projects from subfolders and subprojects, and apply different filters. 4
- Click “Save”. 5
Your settings are applied.
- Right-click the calendar or layer that you want to delete.
- Select “Delete” from the menu that appears. 1
- Click “Yes” in the pop-up that appears to confirm your decision. 2
Note, that when you delete a calendar, all its layers are deleted from your workspace as well. All deleted items also disappear from the workspaces of users who had access to them via sharing.
To change the color of tasks or projects on a calendar:
- Right-click layer’s title in the left-hand panel.
- Hover over "Change color" in the menu that appears.
- Select a color from the panel.
Tasks or projects on the calendar immediately change color ().
Admins on Business and Enterprise accounts can nominate a month the fiscal year should start with. Admins on Enterprise accounts may have this right disabled.
- Click your profile image in the workspace's upper right-hand corner. 1
- Select "Account Management". 2
- Switch to the "Settings" tab. 3
- Click on the "First month of the fiscal year" field under "Fiscal Year Settings" 4 and select a month from the dropdown list.
- Click "Save changes". 5