Task Approvals are available to all users (including collaborators) on Wrike for Marketers and Wrike for Marketers Enterprise accounts. Business and higher accounts can enable Task Approvals as a trial until 8/31/2019. Task Approvals is an experimental feature and as a result, it may have bugs, is subject to change, and may be discontinued at any time. Please feel free to use the feedback links in Wrike Labs to share your thoughts on this beta feature.
⏱ 3 min read
Task Approvals help you organize the review process for your team. Use Task Approvals when you want to:
- Keep track of work that needs to be approved
- See who is responsible for approving the work of your team
- Determine whether any pending approvals could delay your project
- See all decisions made regarding the task/project in the approvals tab and project/task’s stream
- Create custom dashboard widgets based on approvals
- Set up the process of automated transitions between approval steps using workflow statuses.
You can add single or multiple approvals in one task or project. As a first step, you need to enable the feature from Labs. If you are an account admin:
- Go to Wrike Labs.
- Scroll to “Approvals in Tasks”.
- Click “Enable”
Please note, that the feature is enabled for the whole account.
Next, to add an approval to a task/project:
- Open the task for which you want to add approvals, in Task view. Or alternatively, select a project from the left-hand Navigation panel.
- Click on “Approvals” within the panel above the description field.
- Click the “+Start new approval” button at the top of the description field.
- Now you can:
- Select task/project approvers
- Set the due date for the approval
- Add a description of what needs to be approved
- Click “Launch approval” to add approval to the task/project.
Approval’s assignees will see a notification in their Inbox. The information about the new approval is also added to the task/project stream.
All the tasks/projects waiting for your approval can be found in your Inbox.
🔥Wrike Tip! Create a dashboard widget to see all tasks or projects with pending approvals from one place.
To approve a task/project:
- Open a task or a project that needs to be approved.
- Find the approval panel at the top of the description field.
- Hover over the number of approvers to the left of the “Approve” button to see who else is assigned for approval of the task/project and whose approvals are pending.
- Click “Approve” or “Reject” based on your decision.
- Thereafter, the comment field appears where you can add some details on your approval.
- Click "Send comment".
If you are the only approver (or if you are the last approver), the approval panel is no longer shown in the description field and the information about your decision together with a comment you sent is added to the task or project stream and approvals history.
See details of finished Approvals
Although all the information about Approvals is kept in the task/project stream, it is also possible to come back to the selected decisions made regarding a task or a project and see additional details in one place. To do so:
- Click on the “Approvals” (or “Approved”) button on the panel above the description field.
- Select the Approval for which you would like to see details.
- Click the "See details” button.
- In the pop-up that opens you will see:
- Who started the Approval process and when
- Who approved or rejected the Approval
- Comments left regarding the decision
Account admins can add Approvals to Custom Workflows.
Add Approvals to your workflow if you want to:
- Automatically create an approval in a task or project when the status is changed.
- Predefine a change of task/project status based on approver decisions.
Please note that custom workflows for projects are available on accounts, created after 4/15/2019.
To add an approval:
- Click on your profile picture in the upper right-hand corner of the workspace.
- Select “Account Management”.
- Go to the “Workflow” tab.
- Select the Workflow in which you want to add approvals or create a new one.
- Click the status for which you want to add an approval.
- Click on “Approval”
- Next you can:
- Select approvers for tasks/projects in the selected status. When a task/project status changes to the selected one, the approval is created automatically with the chosen approvers.
- Set up automatic status change in case the task/project is approved.
- Click anywhere outside the window to save changes.
The approval process is launched automatically upon the status change, all the approvers receive notifications in their Inbox. When the approval process is finished the approval panel disappears, a new record is added to the approvals history and the task or project stream and the status changes automatically (if configured at step 7 above).