Approvals are available to all users (including collaborators) on Wrike for Marketers, Wrike for Marketers Enterprise, Business and higher accounts with the Wrike Proof addon. Approvals is an experimental feature and as a result, it may have bugs, is subject to change, and may be discontinued at any time. Please feel free to use the feedback links in Wrike Labs to share your thoughts on this beta feature.
⏱ 3 min read
- Add Approvals in Tasks, Folders and Projects
- Approve a Task, Folder or a Project
- Approvals of Files
- Add Approvals to Your Workflow
- See Details of Finished Approvals
Approvals help you organize the review process for your team. Use Approvals when you want to:
- Keep track of work that needs to be approved
- See who is responsible for approving the work of your team
- Determine whether any pending approvals could delay your project
- See all decisions made regarding the task/project/folder/files in the approvals tab and folder/project/task’s stream
- Create custom dashboard widgets based on approvals
- Set up the process of automated transitions between approval steps using workflow statuses.
You can add single or multiple approvals in one task or project. As a first step, you need to enable the feature from Labs. If you are an account admin:
- Go to Wrike Labs.
- Scroll to “Approvals”.
- Click “Enable”
Please note, that the feature is enabled for the whole account.
Next, to add an approval to a task/folder/project:
- Open the task for which you want to add approvals, in Task view. Or alternatively, select a folder or a project from the left-hand Navigation panel.
- Click on “Approvals” 1 within the panel above the description field.
- Click the “+Start new approval” 2 button at the top of the description field.
- Now you can:
- Select task/folder/project approvers 3
- Set the due date for the approval 4
- Add a description of what needs to be approved 5
- Add files for approval 6
- Click “Start approval” 7 to add approval to the task/folder/project.
Approval’s assignees will see a notification in their Inbox, as well as receive an email notification. The information about the new approval is also added to the task/folder/project stream.
All the tasks/folders/projects waiting for your approval can be found in your Inbox.
🔥Wrike Tip! Create a dashboard widget to see all tasks or projects with pending approvals from one place.
To approve a task/folder/project:
- Open a task, folder or a project that needs to be approved.
- Find the approval panel at the top of the description field.
- Hover over the number of approvers to the left of the “Approve” button to see who else is assigned for approval of the task/folder/project and whose approvals are pending.
- Click “Approve” 1 or “Reject” 2 based on your decision.
- Thereafter, the comment field appears where you can add some details on your approval.
- Click "Send comment". 3
If you are the only approver (or if you are the last approver), you will see a banner in the upper part of the workspace with the final decision. The approval panel is no longer shown in the description field and the information about your decision, together with a comment you sent, is added to the task or project stream and approvals history.
You can use approvals when it comes to working on the same file with your team.
Approvals works with:
- All files uploaded from local storage.
- Public or unlisted YouTube videos.
Files saved in cloud storage services (except YouTube videos) cannot be used with the Approval process.
Add files to approvals:
- Open a task, folder or a project, where you want to add files for approval.
- Start the approval by clicking the “Approvals” 1 button.
- Click the “Select files for approval” 2 button.
- In the pop-up that opens, select a file (or multiple files) that needs to be approved. Note that only files attached to this task/folder/project are shown in the list. 3
- Click “Done”. 4
- Select the approver 5 and set the date for the approval (if needed) 6 and click “Start approval”. 7
To approve a file:
- Open a task/folder/project with the file that is awaiting your approval.
- Click the “Files pending approvals” on the approvals panel.
- The file is open in Proofing. From here you can:
- Add comments to the file
- @mention users
- When you are all set, select “Approve” or “Changes required”.
Click "Undo decision" if you want to revisit your decision and apply a new one.
Note that if there is a file with a pending approval, you have to set a decision on the file first, in order to be able to close the task/folder/project approval.
Account admins can add Approvals to Custom Workflows.
Add Approvals to your workflow if you want to:
- Automatically create an approval in a task, folder or project when the status is changed.
- Predefine a change of task/project status based on approver decisions.
- Add files to the approval upon status change.
Please note that custom workflows for projects are available on accounts, created after 4/15/2019.
To add an approval:
- Click your profile picture 1 in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select “Account Management”.
- Go to the “Workflow” 2 tab.
- Select the Workflow in which you want to add approvals or create a new one.
- Click the status for which you want to add an approval.
- Click “Add approval”. 3
- Next you can:
- Select approvers for tasks/projects in the selected status 4. When a task/project status changes to the selected one, the approval is created automatically with the chosen approvers.
- Select to add files to approval 5 upon status change. You have 3 options:
- Add all files automatically. All the attached files from a task/project will be added to approval.
- Add files from previous approval. Files from the previous approval are added to the new one, launched upon the status change.
- Require file selection. You will be asked to select files for approval after the status change.
- Set up automatic status change in case the task/project is approved. 6
- Close the status window.
- Click “Save” 7 in the upper right-hand corner.
The approval process is launched automatically upon the status change, all the approvers receive notifications in their Inbox. When the approval process is finished the approval panel disappears, a new record is added to the approvals history and the task or project stream and the status changes automatically (if configured at step 7 above).
Note that when you choose to start an approval upon status change together with requiring file selection, changing the status in any other view with exception of the Task view will create a draft approval only and won’t launch it. The user who started the approval and the approval assignee will receive an Inbox notification that a file needs to be added to the approval.
Although all the information about Approvals is kept in the task/folder/project stream, it is also possible to come back to the selected decisions made regarding a task, folder or a project and see additional details in one place. To do so:
- Click on the “Approvals” (or “Approved”) button on the panel above the description field.
- Select the Approval for which you would like to see details.
- Click the "See details” button.
- In the pop-up that opens you will see:
- Who started the Approval process and when
- Who approved or rejected the Approval
- Comments left regarding the decision