The Gantt Chart is available to all users on all paid accounts.
⏱ 2 min read
The Gantt Chart has a default sorting order but you can also customize how tasks are sorted to meet your (and your team’s) needs.
By default, cascade sorting is applied to Tasks, Folders, and Projects. A Task, Folder, or Project’s vertical position on the Gantt Chart (how close or far it is from the top of the screen) is determined by the following rules of cascade sorting:
- Projects are sorted by their dates: Projects with the earliest start date are displayed closer to the top of the chart than other Folders and Projects.
- Folders are sorted by the start date of their earliest task. Folders containing Tasks with earlier start dates are listed closer to the top of the screen than other Folders and Projects.
- Projects without dates and Folders without tasks are sorted alphanumerically and are listed underneath all other Projects and Folders.
- Subfolders and Subprojects are listed directly underneath their parent Folder or Project.
- Within a Folder or Project, tasks with dependencies are listed first and then tasks are listed based on their start dates.
- If more than one task has the same start date, then the task with the shorter duration is listed first. If there are multiple tasks (or dependency chains containing tasks) with the same start date and duration, then they are sorted alphanumerically.
- Click the column title to apply ascending sorting by values in this column; click the same title again to apply descending sorting.
- Click “Cascade sorting” above the timeline to go back to cascade sorting.
Note, that it’s not possible to sort by the “Predecessor” column.
Tasks on the timeline mimic the order of tasks on the table. When you rearrange tasks on the table, tasks on the timeline side shift to match the new order and vice versa.
Rearrange Tasks from the Timeline
- Click and hold a task bar on the timeline.
- Move the task to the appropriate location.
- Release your mouse.
Rearrange Tasks From the Table
- Click and hold a task's row number from the table side of the view.
- Move the task to the appropriate location on the table.
- Release your mouse.
Wrike Tip! 🔥To select a range of tasks: click in the first task's row, press and hold Shift on your keyboard, and click in the row of the last task you want selected. Once the range is selected, you can drag and drop it the same way you do with a single task.