Wrike’s Outlook add-in is available for all users (including Collaborators) on all account types (including free). The outlook add-in works with specific emails. Please check to make sure you have a compatible email before installing the add-in.
Use Wrike for Outlook to interact with Wrike directly from your inbox. With the add-in you can
- Turn an email into a Wrike task. When you receive a non-Wrike email, click the Wrike extension to create a task based on that email.
- Edit existing Wrike tasks. When you receive a Wrike email notification or if you've turned an email into a Wrike task, click the Wrike icon to begin editing the associated task.
- Send and receive comments. Add and read comments on Wrike tasks from the add-in.
- Add text from an email as a task comment. Add text from a non-Wrike email as a comment to an existing task.
All changes are synced instantly.
Please note, this page covers how to use the add-in. We have a page on how to install the add-in.
Compatible Mail Provider (where your email account is hosted)
The Outlook add-in works with 32-bit versions of Outlook.
- Office 365 Business subscription (Exchange online)
- Exchange Server 2013 or later
Please note, non-Microsoft mail providers (like Gmail or any other POP/IMAP accounts) are not supported.
Compatible Mail Clients (where you check your email)
- Outlook for Windows 2013 and 2016
- Outlook for Mac 2016
- Outlook on the Web
- Outlook on iOS and Android
- Open an email in Outlook.
- Click "Open Wrike add-in".
- Select “Convert to a task”. (If you have multiple accounts, you’ll have to select an account first).
A task is immediately created and you can begin editing it.
✋Note: Email threads. If one email in a chain is associated with a Wrike task, then other emails in the thread can be turned into its subtasks, but can't be made standalone tasks from the add-in.
What Happens When You Create a Task From Outlook
- Text from your email is added to the task’s description. If it’s an email chain, only the text from the most recent email is added.
- Attachments from the email are added to the task.
- The task is pinned to My Work.
- Click on a Wrike notification email (or an email which you turned into a task).
- Click the Wrike icon.
- Begin editing the task.
Your edits are synced instantly with the browser version of Wrike.
Available Editing Options
- Change title
- Add/remove the task from Folders/Projects
- Change task status (including workflow)
- Read/add comments
- Add/remove assignees
- View/edit task descriptions
- View and open attached files
- Create subtasks (and view names, status, and assignee for existing subtasks)*
- View a tasks scheduled dates, or schedule a task as a one day task
- Click “Open in Wrike” to open the task directly in Wrike.
*Please note, you can create subtasks, but can’t click on them to open them.
- Open an email in Outlook.
- Click the Wrike icon to open the add-in.
- Select “Add as a comment”. (If you have multiple accounts, you’ll have to select an account first).
- Search for a task or enter a task’s Permalink.
The text from your email, any attachments, and data around who sent the email and when are added to the specified task.
More details on how to uninstall an add-in available on Microsoft’s support center.