Hi guys! I'm Hugh, Community Associate here at Wrike! 👋 Really looking forward to helping you guys out and make your Wrike experience as rewarding and productive as it can be!
We've all been there; you're getting ready to start a brand new exciting project and you want your team to find their tasks as quickly and as easily as possible. What's the best way for your team to access all their work at once though? Should you create a folder and place all your tasks in here? Or should I create a Space and assign it to my team? And what is the benefits of using one over the other? 🤔
Well, wonder no more! This article will break down the differences between Spaces and folders so when you're putting a project together, there will be no doubt in your mind as to how you should deliver it to your team!
But first of all, what are folders and Spaces?
- Can contain tasks and subfolders - create a hierarchy within your folder to break down your project into manageable sections.
- Structure - folders are excellent tools for grouping together related tasks such as meeting agendas or to-do lists.
- Visibility - use folders and subfolders to easily maneuver around the Workspace's Navigation Panel on the left-hand side.
- Create projects and folders directly within the space - useful for company wide information.
- Customizable access permissions for users - create private Spaces, assign users as admins that can adjust permissions and assign request form management to Space admins to ensure information is being sent to the right people.
- Bookmarks - place all your important external links in one easily accessible area.
But why should I use one instead of the other?
One of the reasons why Wrike is the top tool in collaborative project management is its ability to seamlessly integrate different items together. Rather than asking yourself "Should I create a folder or a Space?", you should ask yourself "How can I use these functionalities together to maximize my team's output?".
Folders are excellent tools for organizing tasks for specific aspects of your business. If you have a large project coming up, and you need each stage of the project to be broken down in easily manageable places, then using folders within your projects denoting each of the separate stages is a great way to ensure that your team will never get lost looking for their tasks.
Spaces are the perfect place to assign a department's projects and folders. Whether it's using your personal space to organize and prioritize your work, using a private Space to give your departments a one-stop place for all of their needs or using a public Space to keep everyone in your company in the know about all the projects that are underway, Spaces can make a difference in the way that your team works towards your goals as a business.
If you have questions about any other aspects of folders or Spaces don't hesitate to put them in the comments below! I'm sure our Community Team and your fellow Wrikers would be more than happy to help make sure you're using Wrike to its full potential.