Whether you’re launching a new product, writing an ebook, or preparing for a conference, you’re managing a project. Use projects to manage a group of tasks that are part of a larger goal and have a due date. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to launch a new project from scratch.
- Create a project by clicking the “+” button. Fill out the project title, due dates, and project owner and choose the default view for your tasks (List, Board, Table, or Gantt Chart).
- Populate your project with tasks. Think of tasks as action items that should be completed in order to achieve a project goal.
- Assign tasks to users. Ideally, tasks should be small enough to be assigned to one person. If not, think of breaking tasks into subtasks and assign each of them.
- Schedule the tasks one by one or by using mass editing.
- Switch to the Gantt Chart to visualize your schedule. Make sure that you’ve set up correct durations for each task and reschedule tasks if needed.
- Set up dependencies. Dependencies help you understand how tasks are interconnected. When you reschedule a task with dependencies, all dependent tasks are automatically rescheduled. When the task is completed, the assignee of the dependent task receives a notification that they may start working on their task.
- Convert key tasks into milestones. Milestones reference points to mark a major event or a branching decision point in a project. When you reschedule dependent tasks on the Gantt Chart, milestones aren’t rescheduled automatically.
- If you’re running repetitive projects, you can save it as a template and then duplicate it for further initiatives.
There are several ways to monitor project progress:
- Understand project priorities with Project Dashboard.
- Use built-in project progress tracker that automatically calculates your project’s progress based on selected metrics and updates it in real time (available for Business and above subscriptions).
- Build a report based on project statuses to quickly check project progress across all projects in your team or company (available for Business and above subscriptions).
After you finish working on the project, mark it completed and move to the dedicated “Archive” folder.